In case of a password protect Excel spreadsheet, you’re unable to edit the data on the Excel Sheet. If you have ever forgotten the password or don’t know the password, then how will you unlock the Excel Sheet without having the password. Don’t worry, In this article, we will show you how to unlock excel sheet without password.
How To Unlock Excel Sheet Without Password
VBA Code to Unlock a Locked Excel Sheet :
1. Open your protected Excel Worksheet and hold down the ALT+F11 keys or click on View Code in Developers Tabs.
2. It opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application Window.
3. Click Inset > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
Don’t change anything in the given code below. Just copy and paste the code in the Module Window.
‘Breaks worksheet password protection.
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer Dim l As Integer, m As Integer, n As Integer Dim i1 As Integer, i2 As Integer, i3 As Integer Dim i4 As Integer, i5 As Integer, i6 As Integer On Error Resume Next For i = 65 To 66: For j = 65 To 66: For k = 65 To 66 For l = 65 To 66: For m = 65 To 66: For i1 = 65 To 66 For i2 = 65 To 66: For i3 = 65 To 66: For i4 = 65 To 66 For i5 = 65 To 66: For i6 = 65 To 66: For n = 32 To 126 ActiveSheet.Unprotect Chr(i) & Chr(j) & Chr(k) & _ Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & Chr(i3) & _ Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n) If ActiveSheet.ProtectContents = False Then MsgBox “One usable password is ” & Chr(i) & Chr(j) & _ Chr(k) & Chr(l) & Chr(m) & Chr(i1) & Chr(i2) & _ Chr(i3) & Chr(i4) & Chr(i5) & Chr(i6) & Chr(n) Exit Sub End If Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next Next: Next: Next: Next: Next: Next End Sub
4. Now Click on the Run Button or press F5 key on the keyboard, a popup window will appear and click OK to close it.
If there are multiple password protected excel sheet, you need to apply this code for each sheet. This VBA code works only in Excel 2010 or lower version.
Unlock Excel Sheet By Using Extension Method :
1. Copy and paste your password protected excel file into a folder.
2. Open the folder and navigate to Organize > Folder and Search option > View.
Now scroll down and uncheck the box “Hide extensions for known file types” and press “Apply”.
4. The extension of excel file is shown as below.
5. Change the file extension from xlsx to zip
6. Open the zip file and navigate xl folder > Worksheet and choose your sheet such as sheet 1, sheet 2 etc
7. Now open the sheet with NotePad and go to Format > Word Wrap.
8. Find the code of line like “SheetProtection password=”C71F” and delete the password “C71F” in this case.
9. Save the NotePad file and close it.
10. Now change the file extension fromzip to xlsxand open the excel file, go to Review and clickUnProtect Sheet.